Monday, July 11, 2011

26.2 ~ Training for a Marathon

One day a few months ago I decided that I wanted to run a marathon! I have done several races: 5K, 10K, half marathons and a few Ragnars, but for some reason I just felt the need to run a marathon. I figured that this was a good time since I don’t have kids, I thought the training would be a bit easier. Here’s the thing, it’s HARD. But so great all at the same time!! I was planning to run it by myself and my friend, at her request we will call her Fannie Hicks, decided to run it with me. The training has been good with mostly successful long runs and with the marathon in 2 weeks I am getting very excited and nervous.





During the marathon journey I have learned a few things that you don’t really think about until you are in training. I am NO expert on this but I know what is and isn’t working for me. Here are a few marathon training tips for those who are interested. Take it for what it’s worth because this is my first marathon, that being said though I have consulted with several people about the training and received their thoughts and advice. There are tons of things to do when training but here are a couple that I have been thinking about.




Eat before you run. I do my long runs in the morning and if I don’t eat before I run I don’t have anything in my “tank” to keep me going. I have tried peanut butter on toast and that does seem to work well but the past few weeks I have been eating Wheaties Fuel. This has been great and kept me going for about 9 to 10 miles.










Eat something rejuvenating every 45-60 min during your long runs. There are many things you can eat to give you a boost of energy: Shot blocks, Goo (Gels), Jelly Beans, etc. I have tried these things but have a weird gag reflex and cant swallow them (ha ha). So I found the Snickers Marathon Bar and it has been good for me. The trick with eating something is that you have to do it before you feel like you are ready, otherwise you will not be on top of your need for that extra boost and you could tire. Speaking for experience of course.








Hydration! Hydration! Hydration! I have learned from not staying hydrated that you have to drink every 3 miles or so, especially when it’s hot. A friend of mine suggested running with a camel back and sipping the water as you run so you don’t have a ton of it sloshing in your stomach. I think this is a personal preference. Gatorade is very nice on long runs because it tastes good and is a little easier to swallow. Whatever you choose to drink just makes sure you are doing it often. I run with a water belt so I don’t have to go the night before and put water out. It takes a little getting used to but it’s worth it.





Make sure that whatever you eat and drink is what you are using during your training. If you don’t get your body used to it you may have some stomach/bathroom issues while running which is no fun.




Having a running buddy makes a big difference. Those mornings when you just want to stay in bed are easier when you know someone is outside waiting for you. Its nice to have someone to talk with, run in the dark with and be there to help motivate you when you need it. My friend Fannie has been a big difference in my training! Gotta love the buddy system:)




The last thing I will suggest at this time is cross training. I haven’t done as much cross training as I should have because I didn’t realize how important it is until my 18 miler when my legs got so tired. Do some interval training on your off days, sprinting for a period of time and then slowing to a jog. I usually do shorter timed intervals because I am a slow runner but it’s up to you. Also, strengthen your legs by doing leg lifts, wall sits, lunges and hip thrusts (these are what I do but anything like this is good). Having strong legs will help you be able to run longer distances.




Some other things to consider are: Stretching, music selection, clothing choice, and wearing the right shoes.




Training for a marathon has been such a good experience because it’s something I never really thought I could do and now I am at a point where I feel like I am ready to run 26.2 miles!! It’s a great feeling to work hard for something and feel that you can do it!! If you have any questions feel free to email me at sallyannelizabeth@live.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment